2009-09-21

Starting an iPhone app with status bar hidden with SDK 3.0


Summary: if you started an iPhone project before SDK 3.0 came out and all of a sudden you’re (wrongly) seeing a status bar at launch, convert your App-Info.plist to an XML format.


It was supposed to be easy, in the application info plist you need to enable this key



UIStatusBarHidden



But for some reason this was not working for me.  I was pretty sure this was working at some point before, but git bisect wasn’t helping me out.  Naturally, I googled around for several hours with no luck, but every time I start a new app, setting UIStatusBarHidden just worked correctly.


It got to a point where I was going to rewrite the whole app (if I had done that from the start, it probably would have taken less time), but then I noticed something - my (bad) Curling-Info.plist file was a pseudo-array like this:



{

UIStatusBarHidden = YES;

}




Whereas in the new (good) plist, it was in an XML format:


<?xml version=”1.0” encoding=”UTF-8”?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC “-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN” “http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd”>
<plist version=”1.0”>
<dict>

<key>UIStatusBarHidden</key>
<true/>

</dict>
</plist>

I even tried playing around between “true” and “yes” and the only conclusion I can come up with right now is, the XML version just works where the curly brackets fail.


I’m 99% certain that the old way (non-XML) worked with pre-3.0 SDK - it must be some backward-compatibility error Apple introduced with the new SDK.  The XML file is (I’m guessing) new in 3.0, and in the process, some of the properties using the curly brackets stopped working.


2009-09-09

HP MediaSmart issue with Snow Leopard


I forgot to mention that one of the reasons I had to reinstall OSX several times was to try to access my time machine off of the HP MediaSmart.  After speaking with HP’s tech support, it was suggested the problem had something to do with the newest Leopard (and subsequently Snow Leopard) doing something that HP’s software didn’t like.  This was a bit odd, as I was at one point able to install the HP software with Leopard 10.5.5 (I think).


Anyway, if anyone runs into a problem where they can’t connect to the time machine using HP’s software, this will resolve the issue:



  1. Using Remote Desktop (from Microsoft)…

  2. Go to the /Mac directory

  3. Copy the —-.macbackup file into an accessible directory (I used my user directory)

  4. Rename the file —-.dmg

  5. Close Remote Desktop connection

  6. Now open the dmg file to mount the file and it should be a sufficient work-around if you’re unable to get to the files in it otherwise.


2009-09-08

usps fail


i was going to write an entry about how usps’s placing 24/7 automated
systems was the best idea they’ve ever had, but now this is about the
inadequecy of said machines. i sold 10 books on amazon and could only
send 1 of them because the machines don’t take media mail. now the
wife has to ship those tomorrow, because they don’t even open ‘til
9:30am.

eventually, once the current desk clerks begin to retire, they should
think about placing about 5-10 of those machines in each post office
and keep about 2-3 real people working there. the post office is
definitely a place where self-service > clerks, and this would
definitely cut down on overall long-term expenses.


here we go again (re-re-re-reinstalling OSX)


Because I didn’t read this Friday I ended up reinstalling Snow Leopard and Leopard each about 2-3 times, and now I’m re-re-re-installing OSX.  Chronicling the process once again:

2009-09-06


23:00 installed OSX. MacPorts & QuickSilver were the first to be installed, and immediately disabled Spotlight.


23:30 Firefox, Thunderbird (haven’t decided if I’d use this), WebKit, VLC, Google notifier, console fonts, iphone SDK+xcode were next


2009-09-07


08:50 downloaded my dev folder from Richard’s dev machine. coudln’t untar my App folder, probably privacy issue, oh well.


09:00 Adium


09:30 Transmission, Handbrake - I always get these two confused. Good thing I drive automatic.


10:00 MacVim


10:30 Aptana


11:30 sudo port install git-core +svn (took forEVER!)


12:00 installed Opera (for Alex’s facebook)


12:30 sudo port install mysql5-server-devel (also taking forever)


12:50 sudo port install mongrel


13:00 off to IHOP!


14:00 back!


14:30 sudo env ARCHFLAGS=”-arch i386” (not sure if this is necessary)


14:31 sudo gem install mysql — —with-mysql-config=/opt/local/bin/mysql_config5 (Hmm that’s not working!)


14:35 sudo port install rb-rubygems


14:40 Walmart run!


15:30 replaced bike tire tube


15:40 sudo port install rvm (just for the hell of it)


15:55 sudo gem install rubygems-update


16:00 sudo port install rb-rail


20:00 ok after tackling this and goofing off, figured out I needed to set up launchd and restart the machine, now mysql seems to be working.


21:20 done with dinner… I think I’m done now. messing around with vim colors now



2009-09-04

clutter


trying to remove some clutter around here (and make some money)… going to list like 20 of my books on amazon